From Stelvio to Lake Como
Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo and Ghisallo
Discover the best of the Alps riding from Bormio, a little gem nestled in the mountains, to elegant Lago di Como. Stunning views, terraced vineyards and the most magnificent lake blend together for this unique cycling experience. Challenge your limits on epic climbs of the Giro d’Italia: Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo and Ghisallo. Savour hearty alpine delicacies and toast with the prestigious red wines of the region. We’ve been cycling these mountains since childhood and can’t wait to share their secrets with you. It will be an unforgettable cycling vacation.
- Epic climbs of the Giro d’Italia
- Breathtaking mountain views
- Pristine and refined Lake Como
Eat and Drink
- Alpine specialties. Bresaola, Sciatt, Pizzoccheri
- Lake delicacies. Risotto al persico, Polenta uncia
- Prestigious red wines. Sfursat, Inferno, Sassella
AVG DISTANCE PER DAY
Day by day
01 Welcome to the Alps
Welcome to Bormio: our charming hometown at the heart of the Alps and gateway to some of the greatest climbs in Italy. Settle into your cozy hotel and put yourself at ease. When ready hit the road for a nice warm up ride on quiet backroads around the valley before climbing up to the enchanted Cancano Lakes. Enjoy an after ride aperitivo and a magnificent dinner in our favourite local restaurant… It’s just the beginning.
40km / 800m D+
02 The Stelvio loop
Fuel up your energy at the breakfast table… We’re going to need it all! Stelvio Pass, the highest paved road in Italy, awaits to be conquered. Ride countless switchbacks on a spectacular loop that tackles both the sides of this legendary climb. Be sure to celebrate on top: this is the ride of a lifetime!
105km / 3000D+
03 The wine road
It’s not only about the mountains! Valtellina produces prestigious red wines in a dramatic landscape of tiny terraces perched on impossibly steep slopes. Today we ride through hamlets and cellars of this UNESCO World Heritage Site before a private wine tasting in our favourite winery. Salute!
50km / 600D+
04 Mortirolo and Gavia
An epic day with two more iconic climbs to be crossed off the bucket list: the harsh ramps of Mortirolo, by many considered the hardest climb in Europe, and Passo Gavia, the legendary gateway to the northestearn Alps. Legs are screaming, we know it, but don’t give up! Breathe, raise your head and admire the pristine beauty of these mighty mountains. A well deserved beer awaits on top!
110km / 3100D+
05 To the Lake
Time to leave the valley and give some rest to tired legs. Today we roll on the Sentiero Valtellina: the nice and easy bike path running alongside the Adda River. Enjoy the breeze as we approach Lake Como, the pristine and refined Y shaped lake surrounded by mountains. Our destination is the shore village of Varenna, an authentic gem of beauty all to be discovered. Wander through scenic alleys and majestic villas before a bountiful dinner of lake delicacies. Don’t worry if you’ve got climbing addicted, we’ve got you covered with the optional climb of Passo Agueglio: the locals’ playground with stunning views over the lake.
60km / 300D+
06 Il Lombardia
Merge in the lake’s beauty before we tackle two last classical climbs often featured in the Giro di Lombardia: Madonna del Ghisallo, an authentic cycling mecca, and Sormano, where the two options we face are the madly steep Muro (1,7km at a 17% average!) and La Colma, a gentler and more enjoyable climb. Once on top head down to the western branch of the lake and into Como city, our final destination. Spend the rest of the day discovering this fascinating town before the last fest at the dinner table. What a ride…Well done!
75km / 2500D+
Time to say goodbye after an incredible week of cycling. See you soon for your next adventure!
OUR BIKES FOR THE RIDE
The available models for this tour are Trek Emonda SL 6 Pro Disc, Colnago CLX Disc and Ridley Fenix SL Disc. Otherwise upgrade to Trek Emonda SLR 7 or Trek Domane SLR 7, for only €200.
- On day 1 Vago team will meet you at Tirano train station at 11am. Trains from Milano Centrale depart for Tirano every 2 hours and journey time is 2,5 hours. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any logistic and planning support.
- Drop off point is Como San Giovanni train Station. The station is well linked to the main airports and to the most popular tourist destination in northern Italy. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any logistic and planning support.
PRE and AFTER tour tips
- The main airports to reach and leave the tour are Milan Linate (LIN), Milan Malpensa (MXP) and Bergamo Orio al Serio (BGY). In order to minimize the risk of jet lag and enjoy every moment of your cycling vacation, we suggest to land in Italy at least one day prior to the beginning of your tour. Before or after the tour we suggest to spend some days visiting the city of Milan. Once the tour is booked our Milan tips list will be shared with you.
- 6 nights of accommodation at carefully selected hotels
- Daily meals as outlined in the itinerary
- Snacks and drinks for each day’s ride
- At least two experienced local guides
- Daily route support with cycling guides and support van
- High end carbon frame road bike equipped with flat pack, lights and pedals
- Vago Cycling jersey to keep
- Luggage transfers and transportation during your trip
- Entrance fees for all activities, private tours and events as outlined in the itinerary
What's not included
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Single occupancy supplement (from €500)
- Any optional activity not outlined in the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- Anything not listed in the “What’s included” section