EPIC CLIMBS OF THE GIRO D'ITALIA
Stelvio, Gavia and Mortirolo
A quick escape to the heart of the Alps to conquer giants as Passo dello Stelvio, Passo Gavia and Mortirolo. Epic climbs that will stay in your heart (and legs) forever. In between the rides discover the charming village of Bormio, relax in refined thermal baths and savour the yummy alpine gastronomy.
We grew up here and know the place like the back of our hands. Join the ride for an unforgettable cycling adventure.
- Epic climbs of the Giro d’Italia
- Breathtaking mountain views
- Relax at the thermal baths
Eat and drink
- Alpine delicacies. Bresaola, Sciatt, Pizzoccheri
- Local cheese. Bitto, Scimudin, Casera
- Prestigious red wines. Sfursat, Inferno, Sassella
AVG DISTANCE PER DAY
Day by day
01 Welcome to the Alps
Welcome to Bormio: our charming hometown at the heart of the Alps and gateway to some of the greatest climbs in Italy. Settle into your cozy hotel and put yourself at ease. When ready hit the road for a nice warm up ride on quiet backroads around the valley before climbing up to the enchanted Cancano Lakes. Enjoy an after ride aperitivo and a magnificent dinner in our favourite local restaurant… It’s just the beginning.
40km / 800m D+
02 The Stelvio loop
Fuel up your energy at the breakfast table… We’re going to need it all! Stelvio Pass, the highest paved road in Italy, awaits to be conquered. Ride countless switchbacks on a spectacular loop that tackles both the sides of this legendary mountain. Be sure to celebrate on top: this is the ride of a lifetime!
105km / 3000D+
03 Mortirolo and Gavia
An epic day with two more iconic climbs to be crossed off the bucket list: the harsh ramps of Mortirolo, by many considered the hardest climb in Europe, and Passo Gavia, the legendary gateway to the northestearn Alps. Legs are screaming, we know it, but don’t give up! Breathe, raise your head and admire the pristine beauty of these mighty mountains. A well deserved beer awaits on top!
110km / 3100D+
04 Sunrise over the Alps
If you can’t get enough of these beautiful mountain roads, hop on the bike and admire the magical beauty of the sun raising over the Alps. After the ride enjoy a last copious breakfast before we say goodbye. See you soon for your next adventure!
30km / 600D+
OUR BIKES FOR THE RIDE
The available models for this tour are Trek Emonda SL 6 Pro Disc, Colnago CLX Disc and Ridley Fenix SL Disc. Otherwise upgrade to Trek Emonda SLR 7 or Trek Domane SLR 7, for only €120.
- On day 1 Vago team will meet you at Tirano train station at 11am. Trains from Milano Centrale depart for Tirano every 2 hours and journey time is 2,5 hours. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any logistic and planning support.
- On the last day the drop off location is Tirano train station. The approximate time for the drop off is 11am, please plan your travel accordingly. At any time do not hesitate to contact us for any logistic and planning support.
Pre and after tour tips
- The main airports to reach and leave the tour are Milan Linate (LIN), Milan Malpensa (MXP) and Bergamo Orio al Serio (BGY). In order to minimize the risk of jet lag and enjoy every moment of your cycling vacation, we suggest to land in Italy at least one day prior to the beginning of your tour. Before or after the tour we suggest to spend some days visiting the city of Milan. Once the tour is booked our Milan tips list will be shared with you.
- 3 nights of accommodation at carefully selected hotels
- Daily meals as outlined in the itinerary
- Snacks and drinks for each day’s ride
- One entrance at Bormio spa
- At least two experienced local guides
- Daily route support with cycling guides and support van
- High end carbon frame road bike equipped with flat pack, lights and pedals
- Vago Cycling jersey to keep
- Luggage transfers and transportation during your trip
- Entrance fees for all activities, private tours and events as outlined in the itinerary
What's not included
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Single occupancy supplement (from €300)
- Any optional activity not outlined in the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- Anything not listed in the “What’s included” section