Abruzzo Grand Tour
An epic adventure from the mountains to sea
As the birds fly, and as a standard ride could go, only 65 flat kilometres separate the coastal towns of Pescara and Vasto. But why settle for standard when you are in an extraordinary region like Abruzzo? Take a breathtaking “detour” of over 400 km and discover the very essence of this remote paradise. On this epic journey you’ll roll through vine-covered landscapes, climb the Gran Sasso and Majella mounts and ride along the Unesco heritage Trabocchi coast. Turn after turn Abruzzo will take your heart with the warm hospitality of its people, the magical beauty of its medieval hamlets and the explosion of flavours of its eclectic cuisine. Join the ride and unveil Italy’s best-kept secret!
- Campo Imperatore, the Little Tibet
- Medieval hamlets of Pacentro and Calascio
- Majella and Sirente Velino National Parks
- Trabocchi Coast and Punta Aderci beach
Eat and Drink
- Seafood: Brodetto alla vastese, scapece
- Meat and dairy: Arrosticini, Pecorino, Cac e ov
- Fresh pasta: Sagne e ceci, Spaghetti alla chitarra
- Wine: Montepulciano d’ Abruzzo, Trebbiano
435km / 270mi
7.550m / 25.000ft
AVG DISTANCE PER DAY
60km / 37mi
OUR FAVOURITE DAY
Day by day
01 Welcome to Abruzzo
Time to meet your Vago Cycling guides and begin your adventure with the first glimpse of Abruzzo’s beauty: the “Golden Triangle”, a hilly area renowned for the premium extra virgin olive oil Aprutino Pescarese. In the quiet hills of Loreto Aprutino we will be hosted at Azienda Agricola Chiara Ciavolich for a private wine tasting, and a delightful farm to table dinner. Welcome to Abruzzo!
50km / 30mi
800m / 2600ft
Lunch and Dinner
02 The Little Tibet
Make sure your camera is fully charged as there will be no shortage of views on this spectacular day. We’re heading to Campo Imperatore: the remote plateau surrounded by mighty peaks and rightly known as “Little Tibet”. At the impressive height of 2129 meters, in the shadow of the Corno Grande, we’ll reach the highest peak of the whole Apennines before heading to the enchanting hamlet of Santo Stefano di Sessanio. Wander narrow alleys filled with the magical beauty of a world gone by and enjoy a bountiful dinner of local delights in our favourite trattoria.
75km / 47mi
1400m / 4600ft
03 Sirente Velino
Before we hit the road for another great ride, enjoy an early visit to the marvellous Rocca Calascio: the highest fort in all of Italy at nearly 1,500 meters above the sea level. On the bike, merge in the beauty of the Sirente Velino National Park and ride to Pacentro, a charming hamlet dominated by the Caldora Castle. Our favourite local restaurant awaits for another feast. Buon appetito!
100km / 62mi
1400m / 4600ft
04 Pacentro Loop
Today’s route is a spectacular loop in the heart of the Majella National Park. We’ll ride through the Bosco di Sant Antonio, a majestic beech-tree forest, the Valico della Forchetta and the San Leonardo Pass. Back in Pacentro, relax by the pool and sip a glass of Montepulciano as your guides will cook you a delicious dinner to share with you the real Italian home cooking experience.
75km / 47mi
1300m / 4300ft
The hardest climb of the tour awaits on today’s menu: the mighty Blockhaus with its 31km at 6,2%. The last mountaintop summit of this great trip is also the most rewarding with endless views from the Adriatic Coast to the Gran Sasso massif. Celebrate with a craft beer at Birrificio Majella before we head to our charming accommodation, the elegant Castello di Semivicoli.
55km / 35mi
1900m / 6200ft
06 The Trabocchi Coast
Rolling through vine-covered hills we’ll finally reach the UNESCO-Heritage Trabocchi Coast, a stretch of sea dotted with a striking collection of trabocchi: unique fishing structures directly suspended above the water. Ride on the stunning bike path and enjoy a sunset drink on the beach of Punta Aderci before we wrap-up this great trip with a farewell dinner of seafood delights.
80km / 50mi
750m / 2450ft
What a trip it was! See you soon for your next adventure with Vago Cycling!
OUR BIKES FOR THE RIDE
The available models for this tour are Trek Emonda SL 6 Pro Disc, Colnago CLX Disc and Ridley Fenix SL Disc. You can upgrade to Trek Emonda SLR 7 or Trek Domane SLR 7, for only €200.
- On day 1 Vago team will meet you in Pescara at 10am. The city can be reached via the Abruzzo International Airport (PSR) or by high speed trains and buses . Please do not hesitate to contact us for any logistic and planning support.
Drop off point is Pescara train Station. The station is well linked to the main airports and to the most popular tourist destinations in the area. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any logistic and planning support.
PRE and AFTER tour tips
- The main airports to reach and leave the tour are Rome Fiumicino (FCO) and Pescara International (PSR). In order to minimize the risk of jet lag and enjoy every moment of your cycling vacation, we suggest to land in Italy at least one day prior to the beginning of your tour. Thanks to the central position of Abruzzo the before/after tour possibilities are endless. Beside classic destinations like Rome (2,5h from Pescara) lesser-known gems are the city of Ascoli Piceno, the Gargano National Park or the pristine Tremiti Islands. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any logistic and planning support.
- 6 nights of accommodation at carefully selected hotels
- Daily meals as outlined in the itinerary
- Snacks and drinks for each day’s ride
- At least two experienced local guides
- Daily route support with cycling guides and support van
- High end carbon frame road bike equipped with flat pack, lights and pedals
- Luggage transfers and transportation during your trip
- Entrance fees for all activities and events as outlined in the itinerary
What's not included
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Single occupancy supplement (from €500)
- Any optional activity not outlined in the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- Anything not listed in the “What’s included” section