From Stelvio to Lake Como
Stelvio, Gavia, Mortirolo and Ghisallo
Discover the best of the Alps riding from Bormio, a little gem nestled in the mountains, to elegant Lago di Como. Stunning views, terraced vineyards and the most magnificent lake blend together for this unique cycling experience. Conquer epic climbs of the Giro d’Italia, relax at elegant Roman baths and savour the hearty Alpine gastronomy. We’ve been cycling these mountains since childhood and can’t wait to share their secrets with you. It will be an unforgettable cycling vacation.
- Breathtaking mountain views
- Enchanting Roman Baths
- Pristine and refined Lake Como
Eat and Drink
- Alpine specialties. Bresaola, Sciatt, Pizzoccheri
- Lake delicacies. Risotto al persico, Polenta uncia
- Prestigious red wines. Sfursat, Inferno, Sassella
420km / 260mi
9.000m / 30.000ft
AVG DISTANCE PER DAY
60km / 37mi
OUR FAVOURITE DAY
Day by day
01 Welcome to the Alps
Welcome to Bormio: our charming hometown at the heart of the Alps and gateway to some of the greatest climbs in Italy. Settle into your cozy hotel and put yourself at ease. When ready hit the road for a nice warm up ride on quiet backroads around the valley before climbing up to the enchanted Cancano Lakes. Enjoy an after ride aperitivo and a magnificent dinner in our favourite local restaurant… It’s just the beginning.
40km / 25mi
800m / 2600ft
02 The Stelvio loop
Fuel up your energy at the breakfast table… We’re going to need it all! Stelvio Pass, the highest paved road in Italy, awaits to be conquered. Ride countless switchbacks on a spectacular loop that tackles both the sides of this legendary climb. Be sure to celebrate on top: this is the ride of a lifetime!
105km / 65mi
3000m / 9800ft
Today we’re going to cross off the bucket list another iconic climb: Passo Gavia. Legs are screaming, we know, but don’t give up! Breathe, raise your head and admire the pristine beauty of these mighty mountains before heading back to Bormio for a well-earned recovery at the Roman baths.
50km / 32mi
1400m / 4600ft
04 Mortirolo and Wine
Another day, another climb! Mortirolo, one of the hardest climbs in Europe, is on today’s menu. Once the suffering is over we’ll roll on a spectacular backroad along the mountain crest and into the terraced vineyards of Valtellina wine region. It’s time to wash away the fatigue with a private wine tasting in our favourite cellar. Salute!
110km / 68mi
2300m / 7500ft
05 To the Lake
Time to leave the valley and give some rest to the legs rolling on Sentiero Valtellina: the scenic bike path alongside the Adda River. Enjoy the breeze as we approach the magnificent Y-shaped Lake Como, surrounded by mountains. Once we reach the shore village of Varenna, get lost wandering through little alleys and majestic villas before a bountiful dinner of lake delicacies.
60km / 37mi
150m / 500ft
06 Il Lombardia
Merge in the lake’s beauty before we tackle two last classical climbs often featured in the Giro di Lombardia: Madonna del Ghisallo, an authentic cycling mecca, and Sormano, where the two options we face are the madly steep Muro (1,7km at a 17% average!) and La Colma, a gentler and more enjoyable climb. Once on top head down to Bellagio to enjoy a cold beer and a ferry ride on this enchanted lake. Tonight it’s time to celebrate the end of this trip with a fest at the dinner table. What a ride…Well done!
60km / 37mi
1400m / 4600ft
07 Sunrise over the lake
If you can’t get enough of these thrilling roads, hop on the saddle and admire the magical beauty of sunrise over the lake. We’ll have time to conquer Passo Agueglio, an hidden gem of a climb, before we enjoy a last copious breakfast. It’s time to say goodbye and see you soon for your next adventure!
30km / 18mi
1000m / 3200ft
OUR BIKES FOR THE RIDE
The available models for this tour are Trek Emonda SL 6 Pro Disc, Colnago V3 Disc and Ridley Fenix SL Disc. You can upgrade to Trek Emonda SLR 7 or Trek Domane SLR 7, for only €200.
- On day 1 Vago team will meet you at Tirano train station at 11am. Trains from Milano Centrale depart for Tirano every 2 hours and journey time is 2,5 hours. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any logistic and planning support.
- Drop off point is Varenna train Station. The station is well linked to the main airports and to the most popular tourist destination in northern Italy. Please do not hesitate to contact us for any logistic and planning support.
PRE and AFTER tour tips
The main airports to reach and leave the tour are Milan Linate (LIN), Milan Malpensa (MXP) and Bergamo Orio al Serio (BGY). In order to minimize the risk of jet lag and enjoy every moment of your cycling vacation, we suggest to land in Italy at least one day prior to the beginning of your tour. Before the tour we suggest to visit the city of Milan while after the trip a visit to the city of Como is not to be missed.
- 6 nights of accommodation at carefully selected hotels
- Daily meals as outlined in the itinerary
- Snacks and drinks for each day’s ride
- At least two experienced local guides
- Daily route support with cycling guides and support van
- High end carbon frame road bike equipped with flat pack, lights and pedals
- Luggage transfers and transportation during your trip
- Entrance fees for all activities, private tours and events as outlined in the itinerary
What's not included
- Airport pick up and drop off
- Single occupancy supplement (from €500)
- Any optional activity not outlined in the itinerary
- Travel insurance
- Anything not listed in the “What’s included” section